Monday, February 21, 2011

New School New Babe Pool

“Popular, I’m gonna be popular!” I repeated this line out of Wicked to myself every day in the weeks leading up to high school. And while maybe in my first year I was far from being known, I did take a major step up from where I had been.

For a recap on the boys I flock to: they are smart, funny, nice…sometimes and have a future. In order to find my new crush at my new school, I joined my Student Government Association (SGA) and I earned a spot in the ever so small speech and debate team.

As you can already guess the president of the SGA, the captain of the speech and debate team, the cutest senior and my new crush were all the same person. Not only was Jacob Wakes, all of the above, he also was in honor society, Model United Nations and several other activities I deemed prestigious in my mind. This handsome senior gave wings to my freshman heart.

Since I joined all of his activities, I got to know him a little better. And since we were given a school directory, I had a license to research even more about him. It wasn’t long before I found his address, google mapped his address, and proceeded to walk my dog down the long three blocks passed his house.

All of this so far seems like standard behavior for my course. But in the spring of 2005, I upped my game. Since speech and debate met after school for an hour every Thursday, and since he lived three blocks away, it only made sense for him to take me home. That Thursday morning I asked him for a ride home. When he so kindly said, “Of course,” I immediately called my mother to tell her to get lost. I made sure she knew that the time between 4:30 and 5:00 pm her car was not to be seen as that would be my estimated time of arrival.

Sadly, this is as far as my relationship with Jacob went: the occasional ride home and a pat on the back for a job well done and a walk with my dog by his house…every day.

Two years later I became really good friends with his sister. Some think it was to try and get closer to Jacob, but I wasn’t that devious. Besides, by then I had moved on with my search to find the next NJB.

No comments:

Post a Comment